Title V MCH Services Block Grant Oral Health Toolkit
Strategies and Measures
Common themes in the strategies addressing National Performance Measure 13 (NPM 13) proposed by states:
Education and Training
- Develop and distribute educational information and materials geared toward the public and health professionals.
- Provide education at community-based settings.
- Provide training opportunities for health professionals.
Partnership and Collaboration
- Build connections and strengthen opportunities for collaborations with state programs, dental schools and dental hygiene programs, private practice, and community-based programs.
- Promote the practice of health professionals providing oral health screenings, preventive services, anticipatory guidance, and referrals to a dentist.
Preventive Oral Health Services
- Promote dental sealants
- Promote fluorides
Sample Strategies and Evidence-Based or -Informed Strategy Measures (ESMs)*
Strategy: Improve data collection and reporting about dental visits and referrals
ESM: Annual report including utilization of oral health services presented to state legislature
Strategy: Include preventive dental services for pregnant women as a no cost preventive service within the Essential Health Benefit package
ESM: Preventive dental services implemented as a no-cost preventive service within the Essential Health Benefit package
Strategy: Form interagency partnerships to improve coordination between services
ESM: Number of interagency partnerships implemented to coordinate dental and other services
Strategy: Increase oral health awareness by distributing educational material in community-based settings
ESM: Number of community-based organizations provided with oral health educational materials
*Source: Strengthen the Evidence for Maternal and Child Health Programs. 2016. Sample Strategies and Evidence-Based or -Informed Measures. Baltimore, MD: Strengthen the Evidence for Maternal and Child Health Programs.