of Health, Bureau of Oral Health Services. 2006. Smiles
for Ohio Fluoride Varnish Program for Primary Care Providers. Columbus,
OH: Ohio Department of Health, Bureau of Oral Health Services.
This training manual, which is intended for health professionals, provides information about how to assess the oral health of infants and young children at well-child examinations to better enable these health professionals to identify infants and children at risk for early childhood caries. The manual also provides information about how to implement the Smiles for Ohio Fluoride Varnish Program to apply fluoride varnish. The manual includes presentation slides, information on making the program work in practice, supply information, information about Medicaid reimbursement, a selection of fluoride varnish literature, information about referral, a list of additional resources, and handouts and anticipatory guidance.
(Click on links for pop-up window with video viewer.)
Part 1: Introduction and Credits
Part 2: Dental Caries and Early Childhood Caries
Part 3: History: Determining Caries Risk
Part 4: Physical: Oral Health Assessment
Part 5: Anticipatory Guidance and Referral
Part 6: Fluoride Varnish Application
- Autio-Gold JT, Courts F. 2001. Assessing the effect of fluoride varnish on early enamel carious lesions in the primary dentition. JADA 132(9):1247–1253.
- Holm AK. 1979. Effect of fluoride varnish (Duraphat) in preschool children. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 7(5):241–245.
- Weintraub JA, Ramos-Gomez F, Jue B, Shain S, Hoover CI, Featherstone JD, Gansky SA. 2006. Fluoride varnish efficacy in preventing early childhood caries. Journal of Dental Research 85(2):172–176.
Referral to a Dental Home
- Clinical Guideline on Fluoride Therapy (AAPD)
- Early Childhood Caries Trends Upward (CDHP)
- Fluoride Supplementation, Procedure for Obtaining a Fluoride Analysis of a Water Sample, Tooth Eruption Chart
on the Use of a Caries-Risk Assessment Tool (CAT) for
Infants, Children, and Adolescents (AAPD)
- Reference Guide: Oral Assessment/Fluoride Varnish Application