June 6, 2016
MCHB Awards Funding for Perinatal and Infant Oral Health Activities
The Health Resources and Services Administration's Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB) is pleased to announce that five additional states were awarded funding through the Perinatal and Infant Oral Health Quality Improvement (PIOHQI) Initiative. These states and projects, to be funded from 2016–2019, include
- Arizona: Northern Arizona University
- Massachusetts: Massachusetts Department of Public Health
- Minnesota: Children's Dental Services
- South Carolina: South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
- Texas: Texas Department of State Health Services
The goal of the PIOHQI Initiative is to reduce the prevalence of oral disease in pregnant women and infants through improved access to high-quality oral health care (i.e., preventive services, restorative treatment, education). The expected outcomes of the initiative, which will target pregnant women and infants at high risk for oral disease, are improved oral health and increased utilization of oral health services.
MCHB is currently providing funding through the PIOHQI initiative to California, Colorado, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.