- To identify conditions or abnormalities in an
infant’s or child’s mouth, it is important
for the health professional to be able to recognize
healthy teeth, soft tissues, and facial bones.
- Dental caries (the disease process leading to
tooth decay) is a transmissible oral infection.
- Tooth decay that is not treated will progress
through the enamel and into the dentin.
- Tooth conditions and abnormalities require referral
to a dentist for further assessment and possible
- Viral, bacterial, or fungal infections can affect
the soft tissues in the mouths of infants and young