3.1 Family Interview
Following are examples of questions that oral health professionals can consider asking. In addition to asking these or other interview questions, discuss any parental issues or concerns. (Also see “Getting to Know Me” questionnaire in Module 2.)
- During your pregnancy, did you have any problems with your teeth or gums?
- Did you receive oral health care from a dentist during your pregnancy?
- If your child is bottle fed, how do you test the temperature of the formula in the bottle?
- Do you orally clean a pacifier or a bottle nipple or share utensils (for example, spoons)?
- Does your child have any physical, emotional, or cognitive difficulties?
- Is your child experiencing any developmental delays?
- Does your child currently have a regular primary care health professional (for example, a physician or nurse practitioner)? Is your child receiving care from any medical specialists? If so, which specialties?
- Is your child taking any medication for chronic illnesses or conditions?
- Do you clean your infant’s mouth? How has this been going?
- Do you brush your child’s teeth? Do you use fluoridated toothpaste?
- Has your child been to the dentist before coming here? How did it go?
- Are you breastfeeding or bottle feeding your child, or both? How is feeding going?
- If you bottle feed the child, what do you put in the bottle?
- Does your child fall asleep with a bottle at bedtime?
- Does your child drink from a cup?
- Does your child have any health conditions that limit the foods that your child is able to eat?