Welcome to Maryland’s Mouths Matter: Fluoride Varnish and Oral Health Screening Program for Kids—Training for EPSDT Medical Providers in Maryland. This series of four modules is designed to provide Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis, and Treatment (EPSDT) medical providers and other health providers with knowledge needed to reduce the incidence of dental caries among children ages 3 and under and to contribute to the establishment of a dental home.
- Module 1: The Role of Medical Providers
- Module 2: Dental Caries Process
- Module 3: Caries Risk Assessment
- Module 4: Anticipatory Guidance, Fluoride Varnish, and Referral
- EPSDT medical providers (i.e., physicians, nurse practitioners) in Maryland must complete the curriculum post-tests to become eligible to seek reimbursement for the application of fluoride varnish for children ages 9 months up to 36 months through the Maryland Medicaid Program.
- Dentists and dental clinics enrolled as providers in the Maryland Medicaid Program are able to seek reimbursement for the application of fluoride varnish for children up to age 21 enrolled in Medicaid without having to complete the curriculum.
- All other medical and dental providers practicing in and outside of Maryland may take the curriculum post-tests for self-assessment.
The curriculum is free.
The curriculum was developed by a multidisciplinary team of experts. Click here for a list of authors and reviewers. Development of the curriculum was supported by the Maternal and Child Health Bureau (grant numbers H47MC08649 and H47MC00048), Health Resources and Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; the Office of Oral Health, Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; and the University of Maryland Dental School.
After completing the curriculum, please take a moment to fill out the evaluation. Your feedback will help improve the curriculum.
||Note: Returning users who have registered but have not finished the post-tests will be directed to the login page to complete the post-tests.
|Maryland's Mouths Matter: Fluoride Varnish
and Oral Health Screening Program for Kids—Training for EPSDT
Medicaid Providers in Maryland received the 2010 APEX